The southernmost point of Britain's northernmost islands

December 21, 2013


... is where you find the Sumburgh Head Lighthouse.

Early in the morning we took a bus from Lerwick to Sumburgh Head.  It was raining when we started off to the bus station and when we arrived at the bus we were drenched. But that's how the weather is up there: capricious and fast. So somehow it didn't matter. The ride along the coast, the clouds ever-changing let us forget our wet clothes. The trip takes about an hour and it was fantastic to get a first view of the Mainland of Shetland.

When we got off the bus at Sumburgh Head we were greeted by these two fellows. Shetland Ponies! The pictures are a bit fuzzy, but I wouldn't deprive you of them...




At the bus stop starts a beautiful coastal walk. It leads you up to the lighthouse, taking you through the sheep-runs where you can stand beside a sheep (if it lets you, which it won't...) and along the cliffy coast around the southern tip of the Mainland. We are not the hiking types, but we enjoyed every metre.

Come with me.


















And when we arrived where we started, the weather looked like this:


The first thing I learned about Shetland - already on the ferry: "If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."

11 comments:

  1. I am speechless... These are just so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I do love rocky, rugged coastlines!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazing... I feel like I'm watching some Jane Austin-type movie... :) Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. stunning photos - as always. I got to go there one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my god..... my knees weakling. i wish i could teleport myself there right now. this place looks magical. just a place i need to be right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I look through these spectacular pictures, what I find most beautiful is that there are no people anywhere to mar the beauty of nature, either by their presence or by their actions. I find these places that you have photographed almost sacred in the peace that it gives us. Sometimes just looking at photographs which have been taken so beautifully by you, is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh. The scenery is just so stunning! Oh my gosh! The "wait 10 minutes" rule definitely applies here! I love the color of the water, and the cliffs just mesmerize me. What a beautiful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - this looks so amazing and beautiful! I want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a very wonderful place. Happy New Year xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow the scenery is amazing! Everything looks like a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an Irish saying too! The only difference is the time span. Apparently in Ireland you just need to wait five minutes.
    Heart-stopping views by the way!

    ReplyDelete